Signs your electrical appliance is unsafe

From residential settings to offices, businesses, retail and industrial properties, electrical appliances are much relied on. As a result, when these break down, it can be incredibly inconvenient and even have a negative impact on your business or work day. On top of this, faults with your electrical appliances can also be incredible dangerous, and even fatal. Regular maintenance and checking can help identify any signs that your electrical appliance is unsafe, but what should you be looking out for? Well, here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts. And we provide a range of high quality electrical services to businesses and companies across the North West region. As a result, we have produced this guide to electrical appliance danger signs.

What are the signs that your electrical appliance is unsafe?

So, what are the danger signs you should look out for with any electrical appliance? Well, there are several, including:

  • Exposed wires- as your electrical equipment is used regularly, it will develop some signs of wear and tear. Exposed wiring is one sign of wear and tear, but it should not be overlooked. Over time,┬áthe outer cord or protective layer of the cable on the electrical appliance can wear through, exposing the wires underneath. These can be extremely dangerous, leading to electric shocks and potential electrical fires. So, if any of your appliances have exposed wires, you need to unplug them as soon as possible.
  • Discoloured sockets- If you notice that your sockets are discoloured, almost burnt, you need to unplug your appliance. It is likely that either something inside the appliance is overheating, passing the heat down the cable and into the socket, or there is spiking current. Either way, you could be a at risk.
  • Appliance overheating- an electrical appliance can overheat as part of continued use, but if your appliance becomes very hot, in a short space of time, this is the type of overheating you should be concerned about. This indicates an internal fault, and the heat can cause components to catch fire.

For more information, or to book a PAT test for your residential or commercial property, get in touch with the experts today, here at Walker Electrical.