Causes for an overheating dimmer switch

installing lighting

Dimmer switches are a popular choice for many properties, including offices and residential buildings. Dimmer switches allow the level of the light to be controlled easily, turning the lights up and down as desired. However, there are some problems that can occur, such as overheating. So what are the Causes for an overheating dimmer switch? Well, here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about overheating dimmer switches.

What are the most common causes for an overheating dimmer switch?

There are a number of things that can cause your dimmer switch to become hot to the touch and overheat. While it is perfectly normal for a dimmer switch to be slightly warm while in use, this shouldn’t ever be incredibly hot. The problems that can cause this issue include:

  • An overloaded switch- a dimmer switch is designed to handle up to 1500 watts of electricity at a time. This is the combined total wattage at any one time. So if you have 16 light bulbs at 100 watts each being controlled by one dimmer, this would equal 1600 watts, and the dimmer switch would be overloaded. As a result, the dimmer would become too hot, causing a fire risk. If this is the case for your dimmer switch, there are several potential solutions. These include changing to LED’s or upgrading the dimmer switch itself.
  • Faulty wiring- initial faulty wiring can also cause a problem for your dimmer switch, as any small gaps or lose connections can cause arcing, where the electricity jumps from one point to another. This can cause internal switch components to heat up, especially when this becomes problematic.

For more information or for any advice, professional installation or repair, get in touch with the experts today, here at Walker Electrical.