Multiple occupancy homes have specific rules and regulations set out to help keep the tenants safe. And some of these regulations cover the electrical work. So what are the obligations that Landlords need to be aware of? And what type of electrical considerations should you be aware of? Well, here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts. From commercial sites to industrial properties, and even residential settings, we provide a wealth of skills and knowledge, and provide high quality electrical solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to electrical installations in multiple occupancy homes.
What are the different electrical installations for multiple occupancy homes?
Multiple occupancy homes are unique residential properties, where depending on the number of occupants, different electrical considerations will be necessary. This could include:
- electronic keypads or fob systems for access to doors and private bedrooms
- shared area motion lighting to prevent wasted electricity when the room is not in use
- additional sockets for electrical outlets to reduce the use of extension cables that can be a trip, fire and electrocution hazard
- security lighting and CCTV set up outside the property can help keep tenants in large properties safe
Electrical obligations for landlords
No matter the size of your multiple occupancy home, you will need to adhere to strict laws and obligations when it comes to the electricals. These include:
- making sure that all electrical work is safe, secure and meets the British Standards, before allowing tenants to move in.
- hiring a professional to regularly check the electrical installations, circuitry and wiring to help keep the tenants safe
- making sure that all of the electrical appliances are safe to use, and fully functioning, before tenants move in, as well as arranging for PAT testing periodically
- maintaining all the electrics in a safe way
- ensuring that the property is periodically inspected, by a registered and qualified electrician, every 5 years.
If you are a multiple occupancy Landlord and electrical obligations are on your mind, contact us today, here at Walker Electrical, for a professional electrical service you can trust.