Electric and hybrid cars are growing in popularity as more and more people are taking notice of their carbon footprint. The 2040 petrol and diesel ban in the UK is also expected to dramatically change the electric car market over the next few years. So why not stay ahead of the curve, and get your EV charging point installed at home? In fact, if you want to install an EV charging point at home, there is a grant available. Here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts, and we can offer electric car charging point installations. As a result, we have produced this guide to the EV charging point grant for homeowners.
What is the OLEV Grant?
The Office for Low Emission Vehicles is offering a grant to help homeowners who wish to install an EV charging point at home. This is known as the OLEV grant or the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme. It offers homeowners £500 towards the cost of purchasing and installing a home charging point.
This grant is available for the majority of electric and hybrid cars, and you can claim up to 2 charging points per household. This means that two car families can charge their vehicles at the same time.
How do I qualify for the OLEV Grant?
All you need to do to qualify for the OLEV grant is:
- purchase an eligible electric or hybrid vehicle (or have purchased one after the 1st April 2015)
- have off street parking
- use an OLEV-approved home charging point installer
Why would I get a charge point at home?
Still need some persuasion to get an EV charge point at home? Well here are some facts:
- With public charging and workplace charging often costing more than usual, you could save nearly £1000 a year by charging at home
- Charging at home can cost you as little as £3 for a full charge
- Charging in just 3-4 hours, charging at home can fit into your busy schedule.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the experts today here at Walker Electrical.