Here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts. From residential properties, to commercial and industrial properties, we work with a variety of businesses across Preston and the surrounding area, to provide electrical installations, repairs and testing. As a result, we often see a lot of unsafe practices, both in residential settings, and commercial properties. These unsafe practices could ultimately lead to an electrical fire, or increase the risk of electrocution. So to improve safety in your setting, and to protect others, what can you do? Well, this is our guide to reducing electrical fire risks.
Reducing electrical fire risks
Electrical fire risks are often caused by unsafe working practices. These include:
- Overloading plugs, sockets, or fuses- By plugging too many electrical appliances in to the same outlet, you can seriously increase the risk of electrical fires. All plug sockets have a limit on how many amps it can safely handle, and exceeding this limit is extremely dangerous. If you don’t have enough sockets, you could think about having some more installed by a professional team.
- Not switching off all electrical equipment when it’s not in use- electrical equipment that is left switched on indefinitely is still equipment that is drawing power from the mains. Not only is this bad for your electricity bill, and the environment, it could also result in electrical fires. Use timer switches to switch off all plugs after working hours, and you wont need to worry about anyone forgetting to switch off.
- No electrical maintenance- PAT testing and other electrical maintenance jobs are essential to keep your appliances and fixtures running efficiently, and as expected. If you skip the electrical maintenance, you wont know which appliances need repair or attention, or which ones need to be replaced. As a result, you could be using faulty equipment for a long period of time, seriously increasing the fire risk.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the professionals today, here at Walker Electrical.