Here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical experts. We work with companies and businesses as well as landlords across Preston, and the North West, to provide high quality, professional electrical and lighting solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the new electrical safety inspection rules for Landlords.
What are the new mandatory electrical inspection regulations?
Established in January 2020, the new electrical inspection regulations have come into place, as of the 1st of July 2020. These set out legal duties for all private landlords, so that they are required to:
- Ensure all electrical safety standards are met while the residential premises are occupied under a tenancy
- Ensure that every electrical installation in the premises is inspected and tested by a qualified and professional electrician on a regular basis. This should be every five years unless specified sooner by a inspection report.
- Make sure that the first inspection is carried out before a new tenancy begins
- For existing tenancies, make sure that the first inspection is carried our by 1st April 2021
The new electrical safety inspection rules for Landlords also include:
- Securing and keeping a report from the qualified person carrying out the inspection and test, which includes the results of the inspection and test and the date of the next one
- Providing a copy of this report to each existing tenant on the premises within 28 days
- Providing this also to the local housing authority within 7 days of receiving a request for this
- Keeping hold of the report to give to the qualified person who arrives to carry out the next inspection, even if this is in five years time
- Providing a copy of the most recent report to new tenants and to prospective tenants who request to see it
For more information or advice, get in touch with the team today, here at Walker Electrical.