From student accommodation to retirement homes, residential properties are places where people should feel safe and secure. With CCTV, security lighting and electronic locking, most residents do feel safe. But one of the biggest dangers doesn’t come from outside. Electrical fires start internally. And between 2015 and 2016, these caused 1380 fatalities and injuries! So it’s a very real danger. But what could cause these electrical fires? And what can you do to prevent them? Well, here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading electrical professionals. From commercial and industrial properties, to residential settings, we can provide a range of high quality electrical solutions. And this is our guide to the potential electrical hazards in residential properties.
Potential electrical hazards in residential properties
So, what are the main causes of electrical fires, and what can you do to keep your property, and residents, safe? Well, these are some of the common causes:
- Cooking appliances- electric cookers are the leading source of all fires in residential properties. These occur for a variety of reasons, including improper use, poor cleaning (resulting in grease fires) and human error. But your cooker can also become old and worn, and this can result in sparks causing an ignition.
- White goods- another common source of residential fires, white goods are also often found in the kitchen. White goods tend to cause fires when they are poorly maintained, and an error with connections, or an exposed wire, causes sparks.
- Electrical overloads- overloading your sockets, or the capacity of the cable, will cause overheating. And this can result in a fire. This is usually because too many devices are plugged into the same extension cord.
To keep your residential property safe from electrical fire hazards, keep up to date with your electrical maintenance schedule. PAT testing and fixed wire testing really do save lives. Why not get in touch with the professionals today, here at Walker Electrical.