Dangers of DIY electrical work

installing lighting

Businesses and companies are always looking out for ways to save money. But completing your own electrical installations, repairs and maintenance is not a good option. In fact, this can be incredibly dangerous. So what is the real risk? Why should you hire a professional? And why is DIY electrical work dangerous? Well, here at Walker Electrical, we are Preston’s leading commercial electrical experts. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the dangers of DIY electrical work. 

What are the dangers of DIY electrical work?

Taking on electrical work when you are not trained or experienced could result in a fatal accident. Repairing or installing any electrical item could cause:

  • electrical fires
  • electric shocks and electrocutions
  • accidents like falls and slips

Electrical Fires

Each year hundreds of electrical fires are caused. This is due to improper electrical connections and unstable wiring. If you have a wiring job that you think would save your company time and money if you just did it yourself, you couldn’t be more wrong. Fires can cause severe property damage, as well as risk the lives of your employees. 

Electric shocks and electrocutions

This should go without saying, but working with electrical equipment, without the necessary training, could result in electric shocks and electrocutions. These can be fatal, not just for the person completing the work, but also for others in the vicinity.

Accidents like falls and slips

Working at height, on any type of job is always a risk. Slips, trips and falls are the number one workplace accident, and they can be fatal. Add electricity into the mix, and repairing your own electrics will surely seem a risk too far.

Electrical work may look easy, but fires, injury, death, and property damage all result from bad wiring and poor electrical work. Why take the risk? Dangerous DIY electrical work can kill. Contact the professionals at Walker Electrical today.